Yellowstone Pavement Solutions has seen a wide range of pavement issues in our years of service. While some issues are unavoidable due to natural wear and tear, many can be prevented with proper maintenance. In this blog post, we will discuss the top 5 most common pavement issues and provide tips on how to prevent them.
- Cracks: One of the most common pavement issues is cracking. This can happen due to a variety of factors, including heavy traffic, temperature changes, and moisture. To prevent cracking, it’s important to sealcoat your pavement regularly. Sealcoating provides a protective layer that helps prevent water from seeping into the pavement and causing cracks.
- Potholes: Potholes can form when water seeps into small cracks and freezes, expanding and breaking apart the pavement. They can also form due to heavy traffic and natural wear and tear. To prevent potholes, it’s important to patch any small cracks as soon as they appear. Regular sealcoating can also help prevent potholes from forming.
- Rutting: Rutting occurs when heavy vehicles repeatedly drive over the same spot, causing grooves or ruts to form in the pavement. This can also be caused by poor drainage, which allows water to accumulate and erode the pavement. To prevent rutting, it’s important to maintain proper drainage and reinforce the pavement with asphalt or concrete.
- Fading: Over time, pavement can fade due to exposure to the sun and other weather conditions. While fading doesn’t necessarily affect the structural integrity of the pavement, it can be unsightly and reduce curb appeal. To prevent fading, it’s important to sealcoat your pavement regularly. Sealcoating provides a protective layer that helps prevent UV rays from fading the pavement.
- Alligator cracking: Alligator cracking is a series of interconnected cracks that resemble the pattern of an alligator’s skin. This can happen due to a variety of factors, including heavy traffic, poor drainage, and natural wear and tear. To prevent alligator cracking, it’s important to maintain proper drainage and reinforce the pavement with asphalt or concrete.
Regular pavement maintenance is key to preventing these common pavement issues. At Yellowstone Pavement Solutions, we offer a variety of pavement maintenance services, including sealcoating, crack sealing, and patching. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and keep your pavement looking and performing its best.